By: Gabrielle Lambie – Nutritionist
I have never been an advocate for ‘going on a diet’. Being healthy and staying healthy is all about eating smart everyday and choosing a lifestyle that keeps you active and happy. That’s the secret right there! No miracle pill, no ‘recently discovered super food that fixes everything’.
When you consistently eat a balanced diet consisting of a variety of healthy foods:-
- You optimize your energy level
- You reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and cancer
- You look healthier
- Your immune system is stronger
- You think more clearly
- Your response to stress is improved
- Your bones are stronger
- You have a better sense of well-being
So, how do we ensure that we are eating well? Start by making better choices each day and continue to make those choices until they become a habit.
- Eat a salad with each meal- salads don’t have to be complicated or expensive and they are an easy way to get dietary fibre and vegetables into your daily diet.
- Have 2 more fruits than you usually do each day;
- Buy wholegrain bread or brown rice instead of the refined options;
- Replace a carbohydrate dish with a vegetable dish at big meals like Sunday Lunch;
- Drink water instead of juice or soda;
- Add less sugar to your tea or coffee
- Eat less fast food
- Try one new vegetable every week or every month to add variety to your diet
- When indulging in high-calorie or high-fat foods, limit your portion sizes and the frequency with which you have them. Remember, the real indulgence is in the healthy foods you eat every day.
The list of healthy changes you can make is endless. Little by little all these small changes will add up to have a lasting, positive effect on your health and well being. The Go Smart Food Company understands the importance of daily nutrition to overall health and creates all its menus and recipes with the goal of providing balanced, nutritious, wonderfully tasty and enjoyable food. ‘Buy meals from the Go Smart Food Company when you can’t prepare them yourself’ can easily be added to the above list of healthy changes. Your diet will be not only be healthy, but also be enhanced with flavors and variety that will make eating healthy a treat!